After years of lull, Bollywood is back to its winning ways in 2018. The first half of the year saw several blockbusters from the industry. Bollywood movies are now available in every major media market in the world. 2018 turned out to be a good year for period dramas and biopics.
These are the biggest stars of the year.
1. Ranveer Singh is making a name for himself as a multi-layered actor. His performance in Padmaavat was commended as one of the best performance of his career. The movie saw a lot of controversies and its release had to be pushed multiple times. But once released, Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s period drama was a blockbuster. Ranveer’s portrayal of Alauddin Khilji caught the imagination of cinemagoers around the world. Despite the problems the movie faced, it was a blockbuster.
2. Alia Bhatt is known for her silliness and stupidity off-screen and she is considered as a ‘dumb’ person. But the star proved her acting mettle by portraying the role of Sehmat, an undercover spy. Bhatt took the role of a young Kashmiri Muslim girl who marries a high ranking Pakistani officer to gather intelligence for India during the Bangladeshi liberation war. The movie is based on a true event that happened during the 1971 India-Pakistan war that resulted in the creation of Bangladesh.
3. Ranbir Kapoor is known as a versatile actor and has several big hits to his name. His portrayal of Sanjay Dutt in the biopic ‘Sanju’ has been hailed as a brilliant display of the actor’s skill. A third-generation actor, Ranbir suffered from a string of bad movie choices in the last few years. Sanju was his deliverance from a spate of failed films.
4. Akshay Kumar makes one or two movies a year and they are usually a blockbuster. The versatile actor played the role of ‘Padman’, in a story about a social activist in Tamil Nadu who brought out a low-cost sanitary napkin. In the closed Indian society, a taboo topic like menstruation was brought out for the first time. The actor has become famous for his socially aware movies that carry a positive light.
5. Varun Dhawan is one of the younger stars of Bollywood that shone in 2018 because of his role in ‘October’, a different, yet predictable love story.